George Orwell was born in 1903in Motihari, India. He later died of tuberculosis in January of 1950.
He has written "1984" and "Animal Farm". This specific quote however, is from "1984", published in 1949. This book is about a over controlling government that controls language, thoughts and relationships. The main character, Winston, writes in journals and works to throw over the Party. After being lied to and tricked, everyone he has trusted betrays him. The Party works very hard to brainwash him to the way they want him to act.
I personally have never read this book. however, I would like to read this. I feel like it would be interesting. it reminds me of the novel, "The Giver" and I loved that book. However, I feel like I would get very mad at the author. I like happy stories with love stories that work out. I also get mad at over controlling rules that are just dumb. I would also jump into conspiracies about if our government is doing that to us.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Are there any questions?"
Margaret Atwood was born in 1939, in Ottawa Canada. One of her most famous pieces, was "The Handmaids Tale" published in 1986.
The narrator works as a handmaid who has to have sex with the commander, even though he is married. she has flashbacks to times in her life such as a time when she was happily married and had a daughter. As the government collapses, life gets hard. she and her husband attempt to cross the border but she and her daughter get captured and separated. She gets sent to a canter and doesn't know where her husband is. Everyone in the center becomes a handmaid to high ranking government officials and has to have sex with them to get pregnant so society has more people. She is assigned to another man and falls in love with him.
I don't think like this book because of how controlling it is. I don't want someone telling me what to do. I also look at sex and babies as something to do with someone you love and want to be with forever. not just repopulating. This book sort of makes me mad just reading the summary.
Thanks for checking out these stories, Samantha! I can see your connection between 1984 and The Giver.
ReplyDelete