Friday, October 30, 2015

Edward Hopper


Bailey and I were leaving. We are going to graduate in two weeks from next Tuesday, and I couldn’t handle everything. My mom was nagging me about everything. She was always asking things about my graduation party, and my future dorm room and repainting my room and how I was going to save my money that I got from my party. Bailey was such a good listener. She sits and lets me complain about everything.

“Well, I don’t like being big. Let’s run away to somewhere where we can be kids again.” She joked, as she tapped my arm before we went our separate ways to class.

I heard her sentence running through my head all day. That was a good point. So, after my mom went to bed, I gathered some clothes and my tooth brush and made my way downstairs. I started to talk myself out of this reckless decision.  Where would I get money? Where would we sleep? Where would eat? How could I afford this? So, I went up to my room and pulled a wad of cash out of my sock drawer. I wasn’t sure how much I had, but took it all. All of the money people had given me to start my future, was going on a road trip. I went downstairs and grabbed the bread, some ham and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, and a lot of chips and gummy bears. I also snatched some fruit and granola bars. I sketched a note to my mom.

Mom,

 Don’t worry about me, I’m okay. Bailey and I are going on a road trip. We will be back in 2 weeks, just in time for graduation.

                                   I love you,

                                                Taylor

 

I left before I could second guess myself. I drove my car over to Bailey’s house and stood underneath the balcony outside her bedroom. I made a “Romeo” move and threw a couple rocks outside her bedroom window, but I didn’t really want to wake her parents up so I just called her.

“Bailey. Get up get dressed and let’s go. We’re going on a road trip.”

“You’re an idiot.” She grumbled as she hung up on me

So, I did what any normal person would do. I wrapped my legs around the pillar and inched up, to the balcony and walked in her room. I started packing her a bag.

“Listen. You either get up and shimmy down the drain pipe, or ill throw you off the balcony. Your choice.” I gently said.

Hours later, we were on our way. We started to run out of gas, so we pulled up to this really old looking gas station. They didn’t sell coffee or pizza or hot dogs. They sold tobacco, soft drinks and gas. And the newspaper, but the date on it was from years ago. They acted as if they had never seen a customer before. The man hoped up and filled the tank for me. The woman inside was in her night down swatting flies. Rang us up. When we went back outside, my car was gone. The man stole my car! I turned around to ask his wife, but she waved as she walked out the door and into my car. We ran to the car, but the man drove off, with my money phone and food. We were stuck.

1 comment:

  1. I can't tell you how often I think the same thing Bailey said: "“Well, I don’t like being big." Being a grown up isn't all it's cracked up to be. Why did I rush to become one?

    ReplyDelete