My wife woke me up last night around 3 am. She was sitting
awake in our bed next to me, wearing her favorite t-shirt of mine. There was
blood all over our white sheets and her shirt.
“There’s someone in the house! Brody! He tried to kill me! Go
get him Brody!” screamed Rachel.
The overwhelming feeling to protect my family filled my
bones. I jumped out of bed and got the wooden baseball bat out of the closet. Whoever
was in my house was going to die. But another feeling came through my body. I stood
at the bedroom door and turned around to look at my trembling wife. She was
dead. Rachel died two years ago giving birth to our son, Paxton. How was she
sitting there? At that moment, Paxton started crying from his room. I quickly
shook it off. I wasn’t seeing her. It was just a dream. I walked into Paxton’s
room and comforted the poor little boy. He stopped crying for a minute or so
and looked me in the eye and started to cry. At that moment, he said his first
word.
“Mommyyyyy” he cried in desperation. He had never known a
mommy. I’ve never had eyes for any woman except Rachel since the day I met her.
It was just me and Paxton alone in this life. I soothed boy and took him to my
room. We laid in bed as he drifted off to sleep. I suddenly missed Rachel with
all my heart. Life is so hard to live without her. Thankfully, Paxton has her
facial features, but that makes me miss her more and more every day, when I see
him, I see her.
I must have drifted back to sleep, because I woke up to the
sound of Rachel’s voice.
“Brody, wake up! Someone’s in the house.” She was covered in
blood again. I rolled over and tried to shake the thought. It was just a dream.
It’s not real.
“Mommy” said Paxton
“I know baby, it’s okay daddy will keep us safe” she said in
a calming voice. I rolled to face her, she was holding our baby and he knew
her.
“Brody, someone is in the house. You have to go do
something.” Said Rachel.
I climbed out of bed and grabbed the bat again. I went down
stairs holding the bat as if I was about to hit a home run. I crept slowly past
the living room. No one was in there. I went into the kitchen and heard a
thumping. I left the window open. It was just a stick hitting the window. I lowered
my guard and walked upstairs. I passed Paxton’s room and someone was leaning
into the crib.
“Rachel? Is that you?” I said frightfully.
“What?” I heard her say from the bedroom down the hall. I ran
in and turned the light on. “Who’s in here?!” I screamed, ready to kill anyone
who approached me. A man dressed in black stabbed my leg and threw me to the
ground. He ran into the bed room. I got up and chased after him. Rachel held
our baby tightly and screamed.
“Leave me alone! Not today!”
Threw dark shape reached his hand out “Now.” The deep voice
boomed.
‘Rachel no. please stay. Don’t leave me again. I can’t live
without you.”
“I’m doing this to keep you both safe” she implied
“From what? I don’t understand”
“When I passed away in the OR the day Paxton was born, The
Man gave me a choice. I either had to give you up, or the baby. I told him I would
go. I knew you could do this. I knew you would take care of him. I need to go
now, or he will kill Paxton. I will come back, I promise. Good bye, I love you
Brody.”
As she walked away, I could still feel her kiss on my lips
and the warmth of her hand on my arm. I just lost her again. I lost her again!
This story combines elements of both scary and romantic/sad. I really enjoyed it because it had more depth than a typical horror story. Also, you included dialogue which is something I personally am terrible at. Great job!
ReplyDeleteI agree with everything that Laura said. While reading this, I was pleasantly surprised to find a twist in the story. Also, great use of dialogue- I'm not so strong in this area of writing. Awesome story!
ReplyDeleteTo be haunted by the loss of your wife and her memory would be torturous enough...then to see her again, feel her close for a moment, then watch her go yet again would probably do a guy in. There's a real sense of romance here, which is hard to do in a scary story.
ReplyDelete